It is in walking distance from the Union Pacific/Northwest Line (Metra) Train Station.
It has access from Northwest Highway and also Main Street (Lake-Cook Road).
It is one of the oldest buildings (and the oldest commercial building) in Barrington, having been built in 1845.
It was the home of George Ela, one of the early settlors of Ela Township and the county.
While the eastern portion of the country was growing rapidly, German farmers were settling on the fertile western rolling prairies. George Ela was the first white man to locate in the area. In 1835 he claimed 281 acres of land and built a cabin in what is now Deer Grove Forest Preserve. He too moved onto the land prior to 1836, as prohibited in Indian treaties, and people doing this earned the name “Sooners”. He cleared some land for crops but a few years later moved north of the Lake-Cook county line, building a home and farm on 100 acres of prairie fronting on the west side of today’s Quentin Road, between Lake-Cook and Long Grove Roads.
Having played a prominent role in local affairs, George Ela was rewarded by being elected a state representative. It appears Mr. Ela’s home also contained a general store and in 1846 the government established a post office there naming it Surryse. He was appointed the first postmaster and the post office functioned in this location until February 16, 1852 when it was moved to the town of Ela and its name changed to “Ela”. In 1849 a successful referendum was held to divide the county into townships. A newly elected county board of commissioners established the townships, honoring George Ela by naming the one located 43 north, range 10 east, “Ela Township”. On September 16, 1845 Mr. Ela bought an additional 40 acres of land from the government in what is now Kildeer’s Pine Valley subdivision. It can only be assumed this was done for speculation reasons.
1854 Ela moved his house/store building to Barrington on the south side of Main Street just east of the railroad. It was moved again in later years to the northwest corner of Northwest Highway (Route 14) and Klingenberg Lane where it now houses The Law Offices of John Peter Curiellis.